Touring American Eagle’s Embraer E-175 aircraft

//Touring American Eagle’s Embraer E-175 aircraft

Touring American Eagle’s Embraer E-175 aircraft

On August 1st 2013, American Airlines introduced a new addition to its American Eagle network: Embraer E-175. Jetting Around was at Chicago’s O’Hare Airport to take a look at this luxurious regional jet.

E-1753012

The new 76-seat aircraft is the largest American Eagle regional jet

OVERVIEW

As part of an effort to upgrade its regional fleet, American Airlines is adding Brazilian-made Embraer E-175 planes to select American Eagle (AE) routes. By early 2015, the airline plans to operate 47 new aircraft.

What to expect onboard

The 76-seat plane is the largest of AE’s regional jets, which typically have 50 seats. There are 12 in First Class, 20 in Main Cabin Extra, and 44 in the main cabin. It is the first in the American Eagle network to offer Main Cabin Extra, which comes with additional leg room.

Both cabins include leather seating with adjustable headrests, full-size overhead bins to accommodate roller suitcases, and spacious lavatories. In-flight Wi-Fi service will be added at a later date.

In terms of meals, First Class customers are offered a choice of items on flights longer than two hours. In the main cabin, complimentary drinks and snacks for purchase are available.

July 26, 2013_018

The plane has 12 first-class seats and is the first one in the fleet to offer Main Cabin Extra with additional legroom

July 26, 2013_079

Full-size overhead bins can accommodate roller suitcases

Planned routes

Initially the Embraer E-175s will fly between Chicago O’Hare Airport (ORD) and the following cities: New Orleans (MSY), Albuquerque (ABQ), and Pittsburgh (PIT).

Later in 2013 more routes will be added to/from Chicago, including but not limited to Toronto (YYZ), Washington DC (DCA), Houston (IAH), and Newark (EWR).

July 26, 2013_014-2

E-175s will initially fly from Chicago O’Hare Airport to New Orleans, Albuquerque, and Pittsburgh

MY EXPERIENCE

Given the name of this blog and my fondness for flying (see The story behind Jetting Around), touring the plane was a treat. I was able to walk around both cabins, test the overhead bins, and buckle up in the seats. After that it was fun time in the cockpit and on the tarmac.

Here are my impressions from the showcase:

• The moment I walked in, the E-175 felt roomier than other regional jets I’d flown. It was easier to move about the cabin and I was excited to see more space for carry-ons. No more checking bags at the gate.
  • Seats were comfortable throughout the plane. As a tall person, I paid special attention to how much legroom there was. I didn’t feel cramped in the main cabin, and Main Cabin Extra seemed quite spacious.
  • Overall the plane’s appearance was sleek, modern, and elegant, both inside and out. American’s new tail design added to the fresh look.

When I left the airport, I was already looking forward to being back on board. There’s some ‘jetting around’ to be done in the future.

Embraer E-175

Checking out the main cabin

Embraer E-175

Look at all that room

Embraer E-175

Getting comfortable in First Class

Embraer E-175

Ready to fly with Captain Pola? ;)

Embraer E-175

See you soon!

Photos in the Overview section courtesy of American Airlines. All other images by Jetting Around.

By | 2014-02-10T00:12:16+00:00 August 1st, 2013|STORIES|28 Comments

Marcia Frost August 3, 2013 at 2:38 pm

Looks good! I have flown Main Cabin Extra a few times and it’s nice (if you don’t get a first class upgrade :)). I look forward to seeing it on AE planes. Mostly, I look forward to seeing some new AA planes. I’ve been flying on some pretty ancient ones over the last six months!
    Marcia Frost recently posted..Kayaks in Sonoma and Tasting Time in MarinMy Profile

Jetting Around August 3, 2013 at 3:51 pm

Hi Marcia. I’m excited about the new planes too! You can’t go wrong with more space.

@mrsoaroundworld August 4, 2013 at 6:50 am

I want to fly with Captain Pola!! Good that AA is upgrading these planes..
    @mrsoaroundworld recently posted..A British Summer day in Salcombe, Devon, UKMy Profile

Jetting Around August 4, 2013 at 6:23 pm

Hop on, Ana! First Class seat for you, of course. :)

Anita Mac August 4, 2013 at 6:55 am

Very cool…love it when there is a little more room and comfort on a flight. Sardines for 12 hours have never been my thing!
    Anita Mac recently posted..From Paris With LoveMy Profile

Jetting Around August 4, 2013 at 6:23 pm

Exactly, Anita. I’m excited to fly this plane in the future.

Traveling Ted August 4, 2013 at 11:45 am

Jetting Around is looking good behind the wheel. Looks like a comfortable and fun ride. Great to see American Eagle is upgrading the fleet.
    Traveling Ted recently posted..Lake Monroe sunset in the Hoosier National ForestMy Profile

Jetting Around August 4, 2013 at 6:21 pm

Believe me, it was fun in that cockpit! But good thing I didn’t accidentally press any wrong buttons… ;)

A August 4, 2013 at 11:46 am

Wow what a nice new plane! i usually try to avoid the regional jets but this one looks really nice.
    A recently posted..Chasing Trains in AmmanMy Profile

Jetting Around August 4, 2013 at 6:20 pm

Thanks, A! I like this one too.

Kristin @ KEEN Digital Summit August 4, 2013 at 7:43 pm

THANK GOD. Living in Nashville, I often have to take American Eagle planes when flying to NYC or Chicago, and they’re normally so gross and small.

Jetting Around August 5, 2013 at 7:51 am

Yeah, this plane is in a different league! :)

Raul (@ilivetotravel) August 4, 2013 at 9:24 pm

How cool to experience a new plane before it goes “live”. Good to see a good flight experience in store for us passengers!
    Raul (@ilivetotravel) recently posted..Reflections on Beginnings and Endings…My Profile

Jetting Around August 5, 2013 at 7:48 am

I was hoping we’d actually take off and fly somewhere, but no such luck… ;)

Erin at The World Wanderer August 7, 2013 at 10:00 am

Looks amazing!! I have to say I wouldn’t mind flying on this at all. All that leg room! Also, you look pretty fabulous as a pilot…new gig??
    Erin at The World Wanderer recently posted..Music Monday: Pompeii.My Profile

Jetting Around August 8, 2013 at 6:17 pm

It would be a sweet gig, wouldn’t it? Jetting Around all the way!

the lazy travelers August 7, 2013 at 1:34 pm

uggh extra leg room should be mandatory on all planes. cant wait to fly in this baby!
    the lazy travelers recently posted..jetsetters: @ShortTravelTipsMy Profile

Jetting Around August 8, 2013 at 6:16 pm

It should be! Especially for tall gals who like to wear high heels, hehe…

lola dimarco August 7, 2013 at 8:01 pm

It does look much more sleek than other regional jets! A+ AA for the upgrade!
    lola dimarco recently posted..How to have an Endless Summer…head to the Caribbean!My Profile

Jetting Around August 8, 2013 at 6:16 pm

It really does! Can’t wait to be back on board, even if I won’t end up in the cockpit. ;)

lola August 7, 2013 at 9:25 pm

i’m kinda mad at American Airlines right now but i’m glad they treated you well.
    lola recently posted..How to have an Endless Summer…head to the Caribbean!My Profile

Jetting Around August 8, 2013 at 6:12 pm

Sorry to hear that, Lola! Hopefully things will be good for you and AA down the road. xx

lorrie August 28, 2013 at 2:56 pm

I love the dazzling tail of that plane really makes it stand out and you look great.
    lorrie recently posted..Brother vs Brother FinaleMy Profile

Jetting Around August 28, 2013 at 7:31 pm

I like the tail too! Cool design.

Marcelo Ruiz September 17, 2013 at 8:46 am

Do you know what route will operate this plane?

Daniel @ Path Finder City November 17, 2015 at 1:24 am

You got invited to do airplane review! That’s neat :)

Firs time reader and commenter here. Hello Pola!

Regards,
    Daniel
    Daniel @ Path Finder City recently posted..49 Popular Foods You Need To Eat In Kuala LumpurMy Profile

Jetting Around November 17, 2015 at 1:42 am

Hi Daniel. I’m glad you found the blog, welcome! Touring the plane was a dream come true, as I’ve been an aviation geek for years. Now, if I only knew how to fly them… :)