JA’s anniversary was an occasion to celebrate travel, world cultures, and languages. Here’s a photo recap of the afternoon.
The event was held on October 20, 2013 at Multilingual Connections (MLC), a language school in Chicago’s Bucktown neighborhood. I chose this venue because of the spacious and bright Language Café on the second floor. As a Spanish student at the school, I’ve enjoyed the room many times and thought it would make a great party space.
In addition to letting me use the facility, MLC offered attendees speed language classes in Spanish and Italian. This seemed to be especially popular with little Lucia, daughter of my friend and fellow blogger Francesca of The Working Mom’s Travels.
The party brought together my friends, readers, partners, other bloggers and photographers, and people completely new to Jetting Around. What a group! I wish I’d had more time for a conversation, but thankfully, I will see many of these folks again.
I enjoyed hearing different languages around the room, including my native Polish, and seeing that some guests brought their children. That’s because I started traveling when I was little. Without those early trips with my parents, perhaps they’d be no JA today?…
Here are some of the party-goers:
One of my favorite moments of the event was a presentation with Greenheart Travel about volunteering abroad and cultural exchange. I was fresh off a trip to Ecuador with the organization, and got to share photos and stories from working in a day care center.
And then there was cake:
While the guests were eating, Lucia helped me draw winners of the raffle. Prizes included a bootcamp language class from MLC, signed CDs and a private concert in Chicago by singer/traveler Mike Mentz, gift baskets from Travel with Ann: Costa Rica Experiential Adventures and Joey’s Soda and Snacks, and a handmade scarf from Safara Chicago.
A few facts and secrets:
- There was no 2nd anniversary. Someone who had attended the first one asked me about it and I promised to have a celebration in 2013.
- Travel Day with JettingAround.com was the name we used to promote the party outside the JA community. I like it and might use it again.
- I initially didn’t plan to serve alcohol, given that this was an afternoon event. But a few messages from friends made me rethink – we ended up with tequila and Argentine wine.
- Snacks included chips and salsa, made according to my own recipe. I’m not aware of any cases of food poisoning…
- The party playlist had tunes by JA’s interviewees: Alfonso Ponticelli (gypsy jazz), Grażyna Auguścik & Paulinho Garcia (bossa nova, jazz), and Mike Mentz (travelpop).
- Towards the end, my friend Tony and I showed a surrealist short film that we shot together a few days before.
- All photography was done by Paweł of Travel in Pixels, a friend and fellow Chicago Fire supporter.
Thank you to everybody who made this party possible and for supporting Jetting Around. See you next year!
Category: Event Blog