Celebrate travel, world cultures, and languages with Jetting Around – in Chicago and online.
HOW IT CAME TO BE
When Jetting Around turned one in 2011, I gathered a few friends at a Chicago restaurant for a low-key celebration. We shared travel stories over tapas and wine, and I remember thinking that the first year of blogging had gone by very quickly. I didn’t know where I would be a few months or years later, just knew that I wanted to keep writing.
In 2012 someone asked if I was going to have another party. I wasn’t at that time (not sure why), but promised to throw one for the 3rd anniversary. And now here we are! This time it’s going to be a big celebration, thanks to a few new friends that JA has made along the way.
PARTY IN CHICAGO
The main event will take place on October 20th at Multilingual Connections, a language school in Chicago’s Logan Square/Bucktown area. I’ve been a Spanish student there for a couple of years, and MLC has been kind enough to let me use their space. They will also provide language classes to attendees (see below).
Here’s what you will find at the party:
- A presentation by Jetting Around and Greenheart Travel about volunteering abroad, inspired by my recent trip to Ecuador
- Speed language classes in Spanish and Italian
- Refreshments and cake
- Networking opportunities with members of the travel and language communities
- Participation by local companies and organizations, including Travel with Ann Costa Rica, Project Travel, Options Away, Chicago Electric Boat Company, Chicago Fire Soccer Club, and Safara Chicago.
- Information about upcoming Jetting Around events.
There will also be several raffle prizes, including:
- A free one-night stay at Omni Hotels (you can also enter online for an extra chance to win)
- One bootcamp language class from Multilingual Connections
- Signed CDs and a private concert in Chicago by singer/traveler Mike Mentz (see my interview with him here)
- A gift basket of Costa Rican products by Travel with Ann: Costa Rica Experiential Adventures
- A gift basket of international snacks from Joey’s Soda and Snacks
- A handmade scarf from Safara Chicago.
The event is FREE, but please RSVP on Eventbrite.
I couldn’t imagine celebrating the anniversary without my readers outside Chicago! If you can’t make it to the party, join in the fun online. Here’s what I have for you:
- Omni Hotels giveaway – enter to win a free one-night stay at any Omni property within North America
- CD giveaway – you can win a signed copy of “Nashville Nights” by Mike Mentz, one of JA’s interviewees
- Twitter chat – join me and my co-hosts for the first-ever #JAchat, a weekly Twitter discussion about city travel and culture. We’re kicking off the event with a talk about volunteer travel on Friday, October 18th at 1pm ET. Participate by following the hashtag.
This celebration wouldn’t be possible without my fantastic readers, partners, and friends. Thank you all for your support over the past three years. I look forward to more blogging in the future – and hopefully, meeting a lot of you in person!
Category: Event Blog
About the Author (Author Profile)Pola Henderson is a travel writer, city explorer, expat, and event host. Traveling has been a part of her life since she was three. Pola grew up in Krakow, lived in Chicago for many years and is currently based in Paris, where she teaches Business English.
Sites That Link to this Post
- Photos from Jetting Around's 3rd Anniversary Celebration : Jetting Around | February 6, 2014