Around Krakow with my niece and camera

//Around Krakow with my niece and camera

Around Krakow with my niece and camera

We live 5,000 miles away and see each other only once a year. Because of that, each meeting is an occasion to do something fun and memorable together. Like this photo shoot that my niece Angelika came up with.

Pola & Angi

Krakow girls (Stolarska Street)

POLA’S TAKE

Angelika and I share several interests, photography being one of them. When I arrived in Poland, the topic of a photo outing came up right away, and we started planning our girls’ day out in Krakow.

I’m used to being behind the camera and in charge of what and how to shoot. This time, I was excited to see what Angelika had in mind. I only knew that she wanted to wear vintage clothes and be photographed in a scenery reminiscent of Old Havana.

I thought the retro look would fit her well, as she resembles film noir actress Veronica Lake. And Havana? Knowing we’d walk around Krakow’s Old Town, I was up for the challenge! We’d have no problem finding cobbled streets, passageways, and iron gates.

Angelika - piano

Vintage Glam – Angelika (Słowacki Theatre)

But there was more… Angelika also wanted to practice her camera skills, which meant that she’d be taking photos of me. We decided to go with a summer theme, given that we’d be shooting in late August and that I had a “tropical” dress in my suitcase.

Armed with camera equipment, extra shoes, and a helper (thanks Sara Kate!), we must have been quite a sight. But we didn’t mind being watched, focused instead on finding the right backdrops and angles for our photos. Even dancing salsa in the streets was not an issue. Angelika was trying to capture movement and I was happy to help out.

Salsa in the City – Pola (Sławkowska Street)

The outing allowed me to see familiar streets from a fresh perspective. I spotted details that had previously gone unnoticed: architectural accents, bulletin boards, clocks, newer hangouts. It was like downloading an updated version of Krakow. I may no longer live there, but still feel at home when I visit. And that day, Angelika and I were two Krakow girls having a good time.

Salsa in the City

We discovered Old Town nooks and crannies… (Szpitalna Street)

ANGELIKA’S TAKE

We found a new great way to explore the city. We were gone in search of unique places, which would go well with our styled outfits, and we were certain that Krakow hid many of them.

I was trying to find another, made up in my mind, place through the camera lens, just using the elements of the scenery. That’s why I wanted auntie to dance, while she was standing by the brick wall and the street lights illuminated her. It can be an image of a girl dancing in the night with her guy in front of a group of people. She had also her own great concepts for the background. It was fun when we managed to find even “Havana streets.”

We didn’t know exactly what our photos would look like. We were just walking in the city, looking around and screaming from time to time, “Ooooh, here, here!” or ,,Look at ___, it will be an interesting background for you,” or just ,,Stay there, stay there!” We were so excited when we saw this man on the wall.

Vintage Glam

… and even found “Havana Streets” in Krakow (Sw. Tomasza & Szpitalna Streets)

[mappress mapid=”35″]

More by Angelika: 5 outdoor hangout spots for teenagers in Krakow

By | 2014-03-19T15:14:56+00:00 August 31st, 2013|STORIES|49 Comments

Sand In My Suitcase September 2, 2013 at 11:00 pm

Oh what fun glamming it up for the camera! Looks like you two had lots of fun…

Jetting Around September 2, 2013 at 11:18 pm

So much fun! The perks of having a cool teenage niece. :)

Angie September 5, 2013 at 12:19 pm

Yes, we had <3 What I've already written, it is another way to explore the city, because when you search charming places, you have open eyes for much more :)

@mrsoaroundworld September 3, 2013 at 9:40 am

I adore this post! Amazing photos – you two ladies look amazing!
    @mrsoaroundworld recently posted..My hOtel: Sofitel London St James @sofitellondonsjMy Profile

Jetting Around September 3, 2013 at 3:53 pm

Thanks, Ana! We had so much fun dressing up for this.

Angie September 5, 2013 at 12:22 pm

Very nice to know that you like it :)

Aggy September 3, 2013 at 9:43 am

OMG these are sooo amazing! You girls look gorgeous and Krakow is definitely a pretty city for vintage look ;)
    Aggy recently posted..Finding Treasures in PortugalMy Profile

Jetting Around September 3, 2013 at 3:52 pm

Many thanks, Aggy. Too bad you were no longer in Krakow then – it would have been great for you to join us and Sara Kate.

Angie September 5, 2013 at 12:24 pm

Yeah, it would be nice to meet you :)

Charu September 3, 2013 at 9:46 am

Oh this is so cool! I love Angelika’s poses: )

Angie September 3, 2013 at 11:17 am

Thanks ! :)

Jetting Around September 3, 2013 at 3:51 pm

I do too, Charu! It’s great that she knew exactly what to do. I was just shooting away. :)

Francesca September 3, 2013 at 10:32 am

So fun, Auntie Pola! You are a cool aunt. The photos are gorgeous and your niece beautiful. How neat that you could “find” Havana in Krakow!
    Francesca recently posted..#CTC13: Capture The ColorMy Profile

Jetting Around September 3, 2013 at 3:46 pm

Aww.. thank you, FF! I love being an aunt. :)

Mariella (Bridgekeeping Traveller) September 3, 2013 at 11:34 am

This is so cool Pola – and I love the shot of you on the stairs on Szpitalna.
    Mariella (Bridgekeeping Traveller) recently posted..The Last Year of My TwentiesMy Profile

Jetting Around September 3, 2013 at 3:30 pm

Dzięki, Marielka! There were posters for tango lessons in that passageway – imagine our surprise! Great for what were were doing. :)

Mr. Jetting Around September 3, 2013 at 11:57 am

Great idea for an article/photo essay. Looks like you ladies had a fun time. Gorgeous pics…very elegant.

Jetting Around September 3, 2013 at 3:24 pm

Thanks, Mr. JA! :) I loved Angelika’s vintage outfit – elegant is certainly the way to describe it.

Clare September 3, 2013 at 3:07 pm

What a beautiful post! The idea of your once a year girls day is just lovely and the pics are gorgeous. Oh and I want to visit Krakow now, too!
    Clare recently posted..Capture the Colour 2013: Travel Photos From the Last 12 MonthsMy Profile

Jetting Around September 3, 2013 at 3:20 pm

Thanks, Clare! There’s never enough time for me and Angelika to hang out, so we’re really glad we got to do this photo shoot. :) And I hope you visit Krakow – it’s beautiful (believe me, even if I’m a little biased haha).

Monica Suma September 3, 2013 at 5:06 pm

She’s so pretty, you look a lot alike! So fun to have these shoots!

Jetting Around September 3, 2013 at 5:17 pm

Thanks, Monica! I’d love to do more photo shoots with Angie, she has great ideas.

Erin at The World Wanderer September 3, 2013 at 5:55 pm

This looks like SUCH fun! I would have loved to have you as an aunt. Love the two perspectives on the activity, and of course, the photos! xx
    Erin at The World Wanderer recently posted..Five Ways to Experience Montréal.My Profile

Jetting Around September 3, 2013 at 6:05 pm

Erin, thank you so much for the lovely comment! :) I am lucky to have two fantastic nieces, even if we live far.

Cassie September 3, 2013 at 6:12 pm

Gorgeous photos, Pola! What a fun way to connect with your niece!
    Cassie recently posted..A Sweet Day in San FranciscoMy Profile

Jetting Around September 3, 2013 at 6:23 pm

Thanks, Cassie! Good times. :)

Traveling Ted September 3, 2013 at 7:16 pm

She looks like a great future travel blogger. I love the dresses and the spontaneous fun the post produced.
    Traveling Ted recently posted..Isle Royale National Park inland photo essayMy Profile

Jetting Around September 3, 2013 at 7:24 pm

Travel runs in the family, so who knows?… :) Would be great.

Angie September 5, 2013 at 12:42 pm

It is fun to share same interests with the relative : )) Great way to develop :)

lorrie September 4, 2013 at 10:18 am

great photos im glad you were able to enjoy your time with your niece.

Lance | Trips By Lance September 4, 2013 at 12:32 pm

What a fun way to explore a city, even if it’s one you already know.
    Lance | Trips By Lance recently posted..A Nashville Trip, a Table and Some Good ConversationMy Profile

Jetting Around September 4, 2013 at 3:02 pm

It really was! And I discovered some things I didn’t know were there. Staycation of sorts…

Jenna September 4, 2013 at 5:27 pm

Very fun :) I especially like the last ones and how you used the streets in the photos.
    Jenna recently posted..Summer’s Over…and Now What?My Profile

Jetting Around September 4, 2013 at 6:43 pm

Glad you like those, Jenna! They are among my favorites too.

Kieu ~ GQ trippin September 6, 2013 at 12:59 am

Omg.. you and your niece are so cute! You guys are like twinsies. lol. What a fun looking shoot!
    Kieu ~ GQ trippin recently posted..My Weekend Getaway Packing ListMy Profile

Jetting Around September 6, 2013 at 1:43 am

Hehe, maybe Angie and I need to dress alike next time. :)

the lazy travelers September 6, 2013 at 9:10 am

fiiirst of all, you and your niece could be sisters. gorgeous!!

second of all, i just hosted two friends in paris who got engaged this summer, and took a few engagement shots of them around the city. you’re right–it was a totally new way to explore the city! we found little streets i’d never seen before, doorways i’d never noticed. it was so much fun.

love this post! xo the romantic
    the lazy travelers recently posted..city escapes: ditching melbourne for phillip islandMy Profile

Jetting Around September 6, 2013 at 10:51 am

Awesome! You and your friends must have had a great time doing the shoot in Paris. Of course, you just reminded me how much I miss that city…

Angie September 16, 2013 at 4:04 pm

It is fun to know that someone enjoyed the same thing :)
      Paris, ooh, it must have been a perfect city to take engagement photos ! Hope to visit Paris one day..

lola September 8, 2013 at 7:38 am

PRETTY POLA!! such a great idea and a day you and your niece will never forget. LOVE it.
    lola recently posted..Four Seasons Toronto – The Brand’s Fabulous Flagship HotelMy Profile

Jetting Around September 8, 2013 at 7:31 pm

Very true, we’ll remember this for a long time! :)

Lesley Peterson October 5, 2013 at 8:16 pm

What a terrific idea, Pola–taking to the streets on photoshoots with themes. What a new way to see a city!
    Lesley Peterson recently posted..David Bowie is at the Art Gallery of OntarioMy Profile

Jetting Around October 5, 2013 at 8:59 pm

Thanks, Lesley! It’s all my niece’s doing… I loved her idea too. :)

Josh October 25, 2013 at 11:28 pm

This sounded like a fun day. I think this was an awesome way to spend a day. I might have to do something similar, minus the dresses haha I don’t know that a man in a dress would look that great.
    Josh recently posted..Is travel your priority and why it makes a difference?My Profile

Jetting Around October 26, 2013 at 9:56 am

Go for the dress, telling ya! ;) But yeah, fun day and I wonder what city you’d choose for a photo shoot.

Agness November 13, 2013 at 8:07 pm

It feels great to get back to Poland after so many voyages and journeys around the world, huh? I’ve never made it to Krakow, but its history and the old part of the city is just stunning and so rich. I’m planning to visit Wroclaw next August so I might go to Krakow as well. You and your sister are so similar! Does she have travelling in her blood as well?
    Agness recently posted..16 Different Breakfasts From Around The World (Part 2)My Profile

Jetting Around November 13, 2013 at 8:21 pm

Hi Agness. It always feels great to visit Poland, but Krakow is so hard to leave each time… I hope you make it there on your next trip! I haven’t been to Wroclaw in probably a decade, and it has my second favorite main square in PL. ;)

As for Angie, she does enjoy traveling and we’re planning some trips together!

[…] once danced on a photo outing in Krakow, so I had no problem doing something ‘extreme’ in Paris. Running in heels on a cobbled street […]