Photo Focus: San Diego Bay

| February 5, 2013 | 34 Comments More

Pictures from a boat cruise around the San Diego Bay

Whenever I visit a coastal city in California, I find myself drawn to water. It was the case with Crissy Field in San Francisco and the pier in Santa Barbara. In San Diego, the first order of business was a trip to Point Loma Peninsula for sunset views, followed by a tour of the bay.

The 2-hour narrated cruise included a number of major sights: the San Diego harbor, North Island Naval Air Station, Coronado Bridge, and Cabrillo National Monument, among others. Considering I only had a few days in the city, this was a great way to learn about San Diego’s history and military-related activities.

The most enjoyable part of the tour was taking in the scenery from the deck, when the wind wasn’t too strong. Here are a few pictures I took around the bay.

Tours leave from the San Diego harbor, located near downtown

Tours leave from the San Diego harbor, located near downtown

On the deck, taking in the sun

On the deck, taking in the sun

San Diego skyline viewed from the boat

San Diego skyline viewed from the boat

Boats docked in the harbor

Boats docked in the harbor

The San Diego–Coronado Bridge, connecting the city with the island across the bay

Sea lions were an unexpected sight during the cruise.

Star of India

Star of India, built in 1863, is the world’s oldest actively sailed ship.

USS Midway

USS Midway – a former aircraft carrier, now a museum ship

IMG_1972-001

You can also catch bay views from waterfront restaurants.

San Diego Bay tour

Back on solid ground :)

Have you been to San Diego? How did you explore it? Share your experience in the comments box!

(Thank you to Reserve123.com for providing the tour. All opinions, however, are my own.)

Tags: , , ,

Category: City Pics, PHOTOGRAPHY

About the Author (Author Profile)

Pola Henderson is a travel writer and city explorer. Besides Jetting Around, her writing credits include CNN, Yahoo, Expedia, MasterCard, among others. She also runs JA Media, a boutique agency specializing in content writing and event production. Happily multicultural, Pola grew up in Krakow, lived in Chicago for 13 years, and is currently based in her soul city Paris.

Comments (34)

Trackback URL | Comments RSS Feed

1. avatar Miret says:

Lovely pics! And you look happy & gorgeous! :-)

2. Looks like you were able to see a lot on your San Diego cruise. The Star of India definitely captured the Captain’s heart!

3. avatar Aaron says:

Love the photos. Gotta love sea lions and skylines. Beautiful city! :)

4. This reminds me of the Chicago architecture tour I took during the Windy City tweetup. I really would enjoy this same boat tour. Your photography is incredible (as usual), Pola.

5. you always make me want to go back to san diego!! great photos.

6. avatar Rose Scott says:

Lovely pics – looking good Pola!

7. I have done this exact trip when I first went to San Diego. Really nice couple of hours. I have a lot of love for San Diego. Great pics, Pola!

8. avatar Leah Travels says:

Ahhh…you look beautiful. I can’t wait to see you again. Oh, the pics of San Diego are nice, too. ;-)

9. I love the photo of you on the ferry – you look stunning! My friends recently moved to San Diego, so when I visit them, I will have to check this out.

10. avatar Fiona says:

Beautiful photographs of San Diego, love the pic of Star of India – Amazing!

11. avatar Jenna says:

Great idea! I spent a summer in San Diego way back at the beginning of college. It’s such a nice city. We plan to go there later this year because I know my kids will just love it, and we will put a boat ride on the agenda! And I agree with everyone…very cute pics of you!

12. Cool stuff…I have always wanted to see the Navy ships in San Diego. Please tell me you stopped by the Hotel del Coronado?

13. I have never been to San Diego, but this tour would be one of the first things I would do.

14. avatar lola says:

i always love getting on the water to see a city from a different (often better) angle! pretty photos, Pola!

15. avatar Karla says:

Wow, San Diego looks beautiful from the water!

I too love to take a ferry or go for a boat ride in any city I find myself in (bateau-mouche in Paris *hint, your future home*, vaporetto in Venice etc).

I love being in, around or near any body of water. It’s so peaceful ;)

You look great in the pics!

16. avatar Sofie says:

Looks liek a nice boat trip!
    I’m planning on visiting San Diego when I’m going back to LA next summer.
    These picture put me in the mood:)

17. What awesome photos. Thanks for sharing