Palmer House lobby Chicago: A classic (and classy) hangout

| February 18, 2013 | 42 Comments More

Palmer House Chicago

The historic Palmer House hotel lobby downtown Chicago is my go-to place for afternoon tea and cocktails served in an elegant setting.

When you refer to a building in Chicago as “historic,” it generally means post-1871, the year of the Great Chicago Fire. The original Palmer House hotel was built in 1870 (as a wedding gift from developer Potter Palmer to his bride), and another one was under construction nearby. Both were destroyed in the fire. A new Palmer opened four years later, and in 1925 it was rebuilt and expanded.

PICTURE-PERFECT

Today, the multi-tower structure at the corner of State and Monroe Streets retains its historic character. It is most evident in the two-story grand lobby, which was designed as a European-style drawing room.

The second-floor space is accessible from Monroe Street through a marble double staircase. Inside you will find chic and comfortable furnishings in earth tones, bronze light sconces, and a remarkable mural ceiling. The restored 50-foot-long work of art features Greek mythological scenes. It was painted in 1926 in Paris by French artist Louis Pierre Rigal.

The room is filled with activity, generated by the adjacent reception desk and restaurant, nearby ballrooms, and the bar. To take it all in, grab a drink and sit in one of the plush chairs, or reserve a table for afternoon tea.

Palmer House Lobby Chicago

The lobby is known for its 50-foot-long ceiling mural, painted by a French artist.

Palmer House Lobby ceiling

The mural features Greek mythological scenes.

LOBBY BAR

The hotel’s proximity to downtown attractions, including restaurants and the Theater District, make the bar a convenient spot for pre-dinner or post-show cocktails. It’s a place to bring a date or enjoy a conversation with friends in a comfortable atmosphere.

Palmer House Chicago Lobby Bar

Located near downtown theaters, the Lobby Bar is perfect for pre-show cocktails.

Palmer House Lobby Chicago - drinks

Care for a drink?…

AFTERNOON TEA

I first experienced Palmer’s Afternoon Tea during a ‘staycation’ at the hotel a few years back. I was impressed with the elegant presentation, quality of food, and friendly, knowledgeable staff. It was the same during my recent visit.

The service includes a choice of tea (black, green, or herbal) and an assortment of creative sandwiches, pastries, and petit fours. Among my favorite items are: European cucumber and watercress sandwiches, British tea cookies, candy fruitcake, and banana mascarpone mousse.

Afternoon Tea - Palmer House Chicago

Enjoying my tea :)

Palmer House Afternoon Tea

Hmm… sandwiches, pastries, and petit fours with condiments

If you go:

• Tea is served daily from 2pm-4pm. Reservations are required (see below).
  • I suggest allowing at least one hour for the entire experience.
  • Certain dietary needs can be accommodated. Mention them when making your reservation.
  • Price: $40 per person (sparkling wine or mimosas are $10 extra)

Getting There and Links

Palmer House – a Hilton Hotel
17 E Monroe St. (Monroe & State)
Afternoon Tea reservations (Lockwood Restaurant): (312) 917-3404 or online
Website | Facebook

Public transportation: Red Line, Blue Line (Monroe stop)

(I enjoyed the tea service at a discounted price, courtesy of Palmer House. As always, all opinions are my own.)
Sources consulted: City of Chicago, Encyclopedia of Chicago, Preservation Nation

Have you had Afternoon Tea? What was your experience like?

Tags: ,

Category: DESTINATIONS, Hangouts

About the Author (Author Profile)

Pola Henderson is the founder and editor of Jetting Around. She grew up in Krakow, Poland, lived in North Africa, and has called Chicago home since 2002. Traveling internationally has been a part of her life since she was 3 years old. When she isn't busy running her communications company, Pola ventures out to explore cities and their culture. View more...

Comments (42)

Trackback URL | Comments RSS Feed

1. avatar Josie says:

Hey Pola,

It has been years since I went to an elegant afternoon tea.
    The Palmer House looks absolutely incredible and so sophisticated! Thank you for elevating my afternoon and giving me something to search out on my next visit to a big city. (Hmm, headed to Philly in a couple weeks. . )
    Oh, and you look gorgeous too, my dear!
    Cheers,
    ~Josie
    Josie recently posted..Trusted Housesitters Survey Results & House Sitting TipsMy Profile

2. avatar Tanya Wright says:

This is so beautiful. I am a big afternoon tea girl. I was in Chicago this past October and had afternoon tea at the Drake. I will try here the next time. I so love your blog. You do an outstandi g job with a lot information. Thanks so much Pola!

3. Tea in America! For some reason, I only associate tea with Europe, but this is definitely something I would love to do. Maybe the next time I am in Chicago, you’ll meet me for tea?

BTW, this place is beyond beautiful!
    The World Wanderer recently posted..Cooking Lesson: African Style.My Profile

• I can’t help but think of London, but I have to say that Chicago has some great afternoon tea options. I’d definitely go with you if you came to visit! Consider this a deal, Erin. :)

4. avatar lorrie says:

thanks for sharing this I will have to check it out while im there maybe we can meet up while im in chicago
    lorrie recently posted..Amazing Race PremiereMy Profile

5. avatar Leah Travels says:

This brings back great memories. Thanks for taking me back. Your photos are beautiful as always.
    Leah Travels recently posted..7 Great Things about DubaiMy Profile

6. avatar Jennifer says:

This looks absolutely lovely! I love afternoon tea. Maybe I’ll pay a visit on my next trip to Chicago.
    Jennifer recently posted..Wine Wednesday: Riding the Napa Valley Wine TrainMy Profile

7. this looks lovely, Pola! Very chic and European! Must check it out when next in Chi town! ;)
    @mrsoaroundworld recently posted..Love skiing, LOVED VerbierMy Profile

8. fancy! we felt strongly that afternoon tea needs to be come an american staple after our experience in dublin, and we’re glad to see that chicago is doing its part :)
    the lazy travelers recently posted..no travel requiredMy Profile

9. avatar lola says:

gorgeous photos as always. wish we could go back there…maybe soon!! miss you, Pola!
    lola recently posted..why Montreal may be my home away from homeMy Profile

10. OMG that first shot of the lobby.. so pretty. It’s got a great vintage feel to it.
    Kieu ~ GQ trippin recently posted..Chasing Sunrise and Dolphins in BaliMy Profile

11. avatar Cassie says:

Really stylish place and a tastier looking tea service than those stuffy, Victorian tea houses!
    Cassie recently posted..The First (And Last) Time I Get To Plan a Dinner Party at Rocio’s HouseMy Profile

12. avatar Lance says:

The lobby is stylish and trendy. However, the guest rooms leave a lot to be desired. It’s a much, much, much older hotel and the infrastructure is in need of an upgrade.
    Lance recently posted..A Minute at the German Christmas MarketsMy Profile

• Hi, Lance. You might say it’s the beauty and the curse of historic hotels… I know they have a lot of updated rooms, and a few years ago I was lucky to stay in one of them. The lobby, however, is my favorite place for the reasons you mention. Thanks for stopping by, I appreciate your insight!

13. avatar Miret says:

Oh la la, what a nice place this is! Wow! :-)
    Miret recently posted..Interview with DJ MosakenMy Profile

14. avatar Andrea says:

Oh, I love a traditional afternoon tea! The location is just beautiful too!
    Andrea recently posted..Europe Slideshow Part 2My Profile

15. I’m all about afternoon tea wherever I go in the world, so thanks for giving me the heads up on this place for when I visit Chicago – it looks really elegant and lovely!
    Jaillan Yehia (@SavoirThere) recently posted..The Perfect Place To Stay in Hong Kong – The Cosmopolitan & The Cosmo Hotel Hong KongMy Profile

16. avatar Britany says:

I never made it to the Palmer house when I lived there — so sad. But I’ll be back for a visit soon and I think its about time I experience tea time!
    Britany recently posted..An Anaconda in the Toilet: Exploring the Amazon Rainforest from Leticia, ColombiaMy Profile

17. avatar Rose Scott says:

This looks like a grand place for afternoon tea – I’m a huge fan of afternoon tea with friends, just chatting in gorgeous surroundings :-)

18. avatar Agness says:

Pola, you are so posh :-P. I can’t imagine myself sitting there like a queen in my trainers on and drinking a glass of wine, just can’t!
    Agness recently posted..Magnificent Scenery of Fenghuang Plus Tips on How to Explore It (My Profile

19. avatar Sofie says:

Wow, what an amazing decor!
    I’ll be having my first afternoon tea in London two weeks from now.
    Am absolutely looking forward to it:)
    Sofie recently posted..My very first official bucket listMy Profile

• I drove by Palmer today and was thinking how nice it would be to go back for another Afternoon Tea service. I love the decor too! Have fun in London, that’s definitely THE place to try tea. :))

20. avatar Romy Mlinzk says:

Hey Pola, this is really lovely and looks like a “Kaffeehaus” in Vienna. But: didn’t you mentioned you don’t need reservations in Chicago’s cafés?! ;))
    Romy Mlinzk recently posted..Abschied von Hamburg im tvino.de Pop-up Store in der SchanzeMy Profile

21. avatar pokrowce says: