Paris, Wish you were here! (hardcover)
Edited by Christopher Measom
Designed by Timothy Shaner
Welcome Books, 2008
As the title of the book suggests, the volume is intended to be a postcard from Paris.
Indeed, the abundant illustrations and snippets about the city, from museum and monument information to city history and cultural tips, give “Paris: Wish you were here!” the look and feel of a booklet of souvenir cards.
Also featured are:
- 1-page descriptions of each of the city’s 20 arrondissements (districts), including historic facts and points of interest
- excerpts from fiction and travel pieces by renowned writers and expatriates, such as Mark Twain, Ernest Hemingway, and Julia Child
- profiles of famous residents and visitors, e.g. Josephine Baker, Coco Chanel, and Benjamin Franklin
- information about French food, drinks, and fashion, plus recommended places in Paris to enjoy them
- lyrics to select songs associated with the city by French and international artists.
If you have been to Paris and love it, this delightful and attractively-designed book will bring back travel memories and likely put you in a nostalgic mood. And if you have yet to visit, “Paris: Wish you were here!” might prompt you to look up flights to CDG.
Category: GOOD READS